The 1931 Lincoln Willoughby Razor Edge Brougham is a spectacular unrestored original car! Here it is being shown at Pebble Beach 2011 in the Preservation Class, Pre-War. It was originally owned by Mr. Edward Connelly of Ridgefield, Connecticut, and then his Chauffer, who received the car in Mr. Connelly’s will. By 1962 it was sold to Mr. John W. Houlihan of Michigan. In 1968, it went to Mr. Harold Fairchild of Indiana. In 1988, Mr. Jim Griffin, a noted authority on 1931 Lincolns, purchased the car. He sold it in 1996 to the 6th owner, from whom we acquired the car.
Here it is in the sunlight, revealing the subtle colors – the body and hood are very dark Brewster green, and the fenders and trim are black. This car is one of only 15 produced, and it is likely that it’s the only one left in existence. It is Car and Motor # 67734 Body # 12-7265, type # 216. When new, it was the most Expensive car in the Lincoln Line-up, at $7,400.
This shot reveals the brilliance of the Willoughby design – although it’s formal, the surface development is very lively, there’s not a straight line on the body! Each line of the top has an arc, the rear door molding line kicks forward at the bottom, and The moldings give the viewer a rich, full look.
There it is at the end of the day at Pebble, showing the 70 Mile Pebble Beach Tour completion ribbon, which will be included with the car. ’31 was a pivotal year for Lincoln, with a tremendous group of Changes and improvements over the final “L” model. Those changes included a dual throat downdraft carburetor, which opened up the engine from 90 HP in 1930 to 120 Horsepower in 1931. The wheelbase was lengthened to 145 inches, which gave excellent proportions for the custom bodybuilders. The headlights grew to the giant orbs you see here, and the horns were both city – a regular horn, seen on the passenger side, and country, an OOGA horn on the driver’s side. The horns, and the special horn button still work great by the way! Another great new feature of the ’31 was the mechanical fuel pump, replacing the vacuum tank of the “L”
Here we are on the Pebble Beach Tour d’Elegance, navigating through the hordes of spectators!
Wow! Unbelievable! This interior is 100% original, and it’s in spectacular condition! look at some of the details, like the inlaid German Silver in the woodwork, the original Cigar lighter with red bakelight knob, and tubular cigar ashtrays!
Dual Opera seats, with what can only be termed a liquor cabinet in the center! Another great thing about this car – there is not a single water stain on this interior – this car must have been garaged it’s entire life.
The top lug of the sidemount is a wheel lock. One key operates the ignition and every lock on this car! Everything fits perfectly – each door lines up beautifully, and shuts with a magical, deep sounding double click.
All of the paint on the body is original. There is some cracking and chipping evident, as can be seen in this photo. The fenders and wheels have been repainted, an effort that must have been done many years ago.
Here is the 120 Horsepower V-8 Engine, with original black finish. It runs well, with great oil pressure and cool operating temperatures. It made the 70 Mile Pebble beach tour with flying colors, as well as some 30 and 40 mile pre-concours test runs. However, it does make an upper cylinder noise, which I diagnose as either a worn piston pin or piston slap. Apparently, it has been making this noise for a long time, because former owners mentioned it. So – great for local touring, but probably not for a big Caravan.